When you have been invited for an interview, find out what will be expected of you (if you will need to do a literacy test, presentation, group task etc) as this will help you prepare. In any case it is likely that you will have a one-to-one interview, where you will be questioned about the company, the job role, your skills and your experience. It is important you are truthful throughout your interview and here are a few actions that will help you score extra points.
Key Interview Points
- Research - Carry out thorough research on the company and all the services it provides, as it is likely they will put your knowledge to the test.
- Practice and rehearse - Before your interview rehearse with a friend or practice in the mirror, this will help to build your confidence.
- Location and transport - Check your route to your interview location before you leave the house to ensure there are no delays, if necessary take satellite navigation with you.
- Dress for the occasion - First impressions are very important and make an impact straight away with a sleek and smart outfit.
- Strong handshake - When you arrive at your interview, try to appear confident and give a firm handshake - a good handshake will communicate a lot to a potential employer.
- Sell Yourself - When asked questions on your skills and strengths you need to sell yourself, this is your one chance to shine.
- Ask questions - Asking questions is a sure sign you are paying attention, try to be as enthusiastic and interested in all elements of the role.
- End on a high - When your interview comes to an end, ask when you are likely to hear back and give another confident handshake.
- Follow up - You are well within your right to follow up the interview for feedback, if you don't hear back within a week, you might want to consider contacting them.
Potential Interview Questions
Here are some potential questions that you may be asked in your interview. Carefully plan some answers to these questions in preparation for your interview.
- What do you know about our services?
- When was the company established?
- What makes you suitable for the role?
- Are you willing to relocate?
- Why are you seeking a career change?
- What makes you a suitable candidate for the role?
- What is your greatest strength?
- What methods do you use to cope with stress?
- Where do you see yourself in three years time?